Saturday, October 22, 2011

Introduction revising

This is my intro so far

Steve Irwin, better known as the crocodile hunter, once said, “I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it." Steve Irwin dealt with death every day, from dealing with crocodiles to catching pythons. Fear of death is commonly seen in society and has prevented many people from doing thing they would like to do, but are too scared to attempt. Although Irwin died, he did so doing what he loved. Not only that, he inspired many people to do what they love, even if it may mean taking a risk and putting life in danger. This theme is shown through the characters of Achilles and Hector. In the story The Iliad, Homer portrays death as detrimental to life. If one constantly fears death and doesn’t take any gambles, they cannot accomplish much in life.



Any suggestions?

Thanks

3 comments:

ZakirW said...

I added Agememnon to my list, but I'm having trouble finding a specific part where he gains a lot by taking a risk, any ideas?

Ms.D. said...

"Fear of death is commonly seen..." The strength and clarity of your voice begins to weaken in this sentence. Revise your word choice and sentence structure from here on.

"Death is detrimental to life..." well...sure. It's really the ultimate down side, being dead. You MUST re-write this. The sentence that follows it is a good place to start.

I think it has to move beyond simply taking risks, there are a lot of characters who take risks and aren't rewarded.

Figure out what is common to all of the rewarded efforts.

ZakirW said...

Also I was wondering in what book did Agamemnon start fighting?