Thursday, October 20, 2011

Obedience/Disobedience

I was throwing some ideas around today to get the subject of my paper going. I would like to focus on the role of obedience/disobedience in an individuals life, especially its ethical role. Hoping you/anyone could give me some feedback on this draft of a single intro paragraph, I will have one before it going into further detail of the time period the epic was written about.


Thanks so much,


Maggie


At a time of primal instincts, moral heroic codes, and of violent raging war. Homer’s, Iliad, provoked the idea of dishonorable heroes, gods, and leaders alike. With a story centered around the fulfillment of destinies, gender roles, and victories, the idea of being obedient is deemed necessary in order to succeed. But Homer gives us many reasons to question the benefits of obedience over its detrimental effects on the life of individuals. And does what Homer has to say about obedience in the Iliad still resonate with us as a society today? And is it ethical to live our lives fully committed to one ideal, person, or faith? In his great epic,The Iliad, Homer suggests that it is with moderation of equal obedience and disobedience that we find moral balance in our lives. Homer illustrates this idea through not only the stories mortal heroes: Achilles, Agamemnon, and Paris. But also through the most highly recognized authoritative figures ever created by man, the Gods.


2 comments:

Ms.D. said...

I think you have some interesting and valid ideas here. You can definitely pursue this argument throughout the text. The writing in this paragraph needs some revision though. Hopefully some of your peers will offer some specific suggestions for changes.

Maddie Pierce said...

Maggie, I think you can condense your first two sentences into one. Also I don't think it's necessary to explain the context of the story and culture if you are doing that in a previous paragraph, as seen in your third sentence. I would try and clarify your thesis, I had to read through it a few times to get it. But I really like the idea, this is going to be a really strong paper.