Thursday, October 18, 2012

Topic Sentence Help?

I'm writing on Hector, and my thesis is about how leaders who rely on their reason over their passion tend to make better decisions for their people and are more effective leaders.  Half of my paper is proof of this with examples where he uses his reason over his passion, and the other is when he slips and ignores his reason, and the consequences of this.  After my introduction paragraph, I went on to say that "Throughout the first half of the epic, Hector's reason takes priority over his temporary emotions, and he is able to elad his troops to what seems at the time a sure victory."  After this, I go on to a specific example in the same paragaph.  My question is, how can I make the topic sentence specific to the example I'm using, or should I?  I needed to establish what my first topic was, which this topic sentence effectively does, I believe.  However, I feel as though going straight into an example doesn't work, as my other paragraphs have topic sentences set to ease into the evidence directly.  I hope this question makes sense, and any advice is welcome and appreciated.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

does hector have that many emotions in the first place? For the most part of the first half we don't see Hector struggle between reason and passion. Perhaps say something like he uses reason instead of emotion to lead his troops to victory in the first battles.

Ms.D. said...

I don't think you need to make your topic sentence specific to your example (assuming the sentence you quoted here is the topic sentence in question).

Ms.D. said...

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. In the conversion to the new Blogger format, my email alerts got turned off. Let me know if you need more guidance on this.